Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ramblings Of A Searcher.....Pt. 1

     I've been reading some autobiography's lately.  The first was A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard, the second was Confessions Of A Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim.  I am now on a third, Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert. 
    This last one is proving harder to read than the first two.  I think mainly because I relate and can see myself in the writings of Melissa G.  Not that I grew up in a priveleged home (ie, wealth).  I did not.  My family was an ordinary middle class family doing the best they could with what they had.  Please understand that I really do get that.  My mom and dad really love(ed) me and my brother.  What was so difficult was the "Don't ask, don't tell" (maybe that's not a good way to put that) policy I felt I grew up under.  Don't talk about what bothers you and it will magically go away.  Don't tell me anything bad, lets just focus on the good. 
     I had a dream after I read the first couple of chapters and had to put the book down.  I realize that not only did I grow up under the "everthing must be perfect" way of thinking, but that my church life/family/pastor was much the same way. 
tbc
    

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's an interesting beginning! We are interested to see where it goes from here...Love ya, Susy!

    ReplyDelete